[Hebrews 6:1] Leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God.

The Spirit of the Living God is about instruct you in the task of fathoming His Kingdom of oneness. This rich Greek word “maturity” (τελείωσις, teleiōsis) means a completing, perfecting, fulfillment, accomplishment, consummation, perfection an event which verifies the promise. Hence, in essence, it means an arrival at the point of perfection. Being fully grown; clad with royal garments; crowned with precious glistening gems-studded golden crown speak of attainment. Royal robes and crown are only an earthly metaphor for something yet unknown and unfathomed. The crystal gates and streets of gold are earthly metaphors. Being absent from the body and being present with the Lord also means absence of time. One can be dead for a 1000 years and yet awakened from the dead to that person it’s been all but a moment.       

Just as John explained to us the start of our journey with God (1 John 1:8-9) and then its conclusion (1 John 5:18) so it is the same with the final attainment. 

I’d like to draw your attention to the aspect of Jesus’ heart. What was in His heart when He said, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:34-35). “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments” (John 14:15). 15So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My lambs.” He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Tend My sheep” (John 21:15-17).

Jesus spoke a lot about love. He was trying to tell us something that has remained alien to warlike human dispositions. This talk about love has been downgraded to the Greek god Eros and sexual cohabitation only praising it in pop songs and literature. Jesus asked Peter if he loves Him; and if he indeed does then he, as a shepherd, would:  “Tend My lambs” “Shepherd My sheep” “Tend My sheep” each time Jesus emphasized ‘His sheep’ saying that these are not Peter’s sheep. In other words He said “Peter please be gentle with them, don’t rebuke them, but feed them, care for them… all in the name of your love for Me. Abstain from harshness, even when you get upset; and when the sheep don’t get it; and are slow in learning, still, carefully and patiently love them. Would you do that for Me?”    

I remember when Jesus came to me in Jerusalem and said, “I wanted my disciples to be forbearing, gentle and kind despite their frustrations with My sheep; only to love them. Period. But they have not gone far enough adhering to My commandment. Now, would you keep it?” I said, “Yes I would.” But I have also slipped many times. I lost my cool. My impatience and dismay got the better of me for which I am truly sorry. Time is ticking away and what I see does not quickly come to pass, as I would have wished. That’s my personal problem. I rush forth like a racehorse trying to match the vision with the picture on the ground. “Hold your horses.” Jesus often says to me. The Alpha and Omega the Beginner and the Finisher puts His hand on my shoulder restraining my temper and me; for He sees the progress of His sheep; those that really matter to Him. I have to then learn to lean on Him and often wait. But the waiting is most unpleasant. All sorts of worries creep up on you; lesser strength, aches and pains, lack of funds, etc. Oh I wish that things would be different. And then He comes again and again says, “Peace, rest, keep the pace of My sheep and not your own.”  

The adherence to only love, and His peace and the maintenance of His joy in us is a skill that is developed over time; and exactly for this reason God gave us time on this planet; for in heaven the virtue of patience is nonexistent. So, what glorifies us? Ah. I’m glad that you asked.  

When we do not overcome anything we contribute nothing, but if we do then our contribution makes us glorious. In heaven there will indeed be some superstars, which Daniel spoke about (Dan. 12:3). We are here not only to fill the earth, but also to triumph so that the glory, which Jesus had, would also be ours (Jn. 17:22). There is no pride in heaven and Jesus had none. He desires that through Him we would also become glorious. Isn’t that wonderful? So, what glorifies us is the holy drill that bores into God’s Kingdom and accesses more and more of the living water and with it God’s glory. [Living Water is the Holy Spirit (Jn. 7:38).] This drill is composed of all the wonderful words Jesus used. Just in the Gospel of John alone the word ‘love’ is mentioned twenty times and with that word all other words that emphasize the meaning of love. It is like sharpening the drill and boring down into our hearts and souls accessing the resident within us reservoirs of God’s love. We came from Him and we are like Him for God is love (1 Jn. 4:8)

Leave a Reply